Thomas A. Matthews
Attorney at Law
Mr. Matthews earned his law degree from the Thomas M. Cooley Law School in Lansing, Michigan in 1978. Prior to obtaining a law degree, he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in English from St. John Fisher College in Rochester, New York. While he was in law school, he was a Livingston County Circuit Court research clerk for Judge Bert M. Hensick. Mr. Matthews has practiced law with Neal D. Nielsen since 1995 in Livingston County. Previously, he was a Senior Trial Attorney for TransAmerica Insurance Company in Southfield, Michigan for seven (7) years, and his territory included Livingston County. His first eight (8) years as an attorney were devoted to a general practice in Howell, Michigan.
Mr. Matthews is a father of three (3) children, and his wife is a special education teacher for Hartland Community Schools. He is a member of Saint Patrick’s Church in Brighton, Michigan.
- Personal injury claims including, dog bites, motor vehicle accidents, and work site accidents
- Civil litigation including claims regarding boundary disputes, building construction disputes, civil claims for money damages
- Claims for unpaid insurance benefits
- Domestic Relations Law including all matters of divorce, Friend of the Court disputes, and disagreements regarding child support, alimony, visitation, and custody.
- Criminal defense and drunk driving defense
- Certified to practice in the United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan where Mr. Matthews has presented personal injury actions, and defended municipalities and police agencies in civil right actions
Bar Admissions & Professional Memberships
- Livingston County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Michigan Trial Lawyers Association
- The negligence section of the State Bar of Michigan
- Case evaluation panel for Livingston County
- Incorporated Society of Irish American Lawyers
- Volunteers legal advice for the Women’s Resource Center